38th ANNUAL CAMTA ROBERTA SAVLER CONTEST
LEVEL A – a.m.
1st Place – Chloe Palmes (Sueanne Metz, teacher)
2nd Place – Esther Min (Akiko Konishi, teacher)
3rd Place – Dante Froeschle (Paulo Carvalho, teacher)
H.M. – Hannah Gao (Erica Tam-Wang, teacher)
LEVEL A – p.m.
1st Place – Evangeline Wang (Brenda Huang, teacher)
2nd Place – Lily Zhang (Akiko Konishi, teacher)
3rd Place – Emily Cheng (Irina Vorobeychik, teacher)
H.M. – Eliot Bognich (Patricia Heineman-Vernon, teacher)
1st Place – Jaylen Jin (Eunjin Lee, teacher)
2nd Place – Kaan Turkyilmaz (Hulya Luethi, teacher)
H.M. – Simeon Nedev (Akiko Konishi, teacher)
H.M. – Marcus Yeung (Sueanne Metz, teacher)
LEVEL C – a.m.
2nd Place – Marcus Cosentino (Regina Syrkin, teacher)
3rd Place – Vivian Zhu (Sueanne Metz, teacher)
H.M. – Grace Min (Akiko Konishi, teacher)
LEVEL C – p.m.
1st Place – Jayden Kim (Yumy Kim, teacher)
2nd Place – Kene Obiaya (Laura Fenster, teacher)
3rd Place – Angela Qian (Sueanne Metz, teacher)
H.M. – Elijah Leong (Adam Chlastawa, teacher)
H.M. – Henry Guo (Erica Tam-Wang, teacher)
1st Place – Noah Kim (Yumy Kim, teacher)
2nd Place – Annabeth Yeung (Erica Tam-Wang, teacher)
3rd Place – Andrew Magid (Regina Syrkin, teacher)
H.M. – Anna Xie (Sueanne Metz, teacher)
George Frederick McKay; Song of the Range Rider
Succeeding with Masters / The Festival Collection Book 4 or Faber&Faber the developing artist Book3
1. Arcangelo Corelli; Sarabande E-minor Op.5, No 8, Largo, from Album Für Klavier
Music for millions, Vol 17
2. W.A. Mozart, Rondo in C-Major, KV 334 (320b)
3. A. Gretchaninov, Mazurka in B-Minor, Op. 98, No. 13 ‘After the Ball’
4. Boris Berlin, Monkeys in the Tree, Celebration Series Perspective, Level 4.
Vincent Persichetti; From Three Toccatinas for piano. No 3, Caloroso
1. J.S. Bach, Invention No 15, B minor, BWV 786
2. F. J. Haydn, In Sonatina in G-Major, H. XVI No. 8, 1st Mvt, Allegro
3. E. Grieg; Puck, from Little Pieces, Op. 71, No. 3
4. Eugénie R. Rocherolle; Señoritas, from Montage.
Heitor Villa-Lobos; O Polichinelo, from Prole do Bêbê, No. 1
1. J.S. Bach, Sinfonia No. 9, F-minor, BWV 795,
2. L. Beethoven, Sonata in G-major, Op. 14, No. 2, 2nd Mvt, Andante
3. Robert Schumann, Des Abens, from Phantasiestücke, Op. 12
4. Christos Tsisaros; Gallop, from Celebration Serios, Piano Odyssey Eludes, Book 10
Alberto Ginastera; Rondó sobre teams infantiles argentinos
Piano Repertoire , Celebration series, level 10
1. Domenico Scarlatti, Sonata Kirkpatrick 104, Venice XV 7, Parma III 2, Worgan 18, Longo 442, G-major
2. M. Clementi, Sonata F-sharp minor, Op. 25, No.5. 1st Mvt, Allegro Con Espressione
3. S. Rachmaninov, Mélody Op. 3, No. 3
4. Nikolai Kapustin, Sonatina in G-Major, Op. 100
Elena Pashilene-Bright and Regina Syrkin, Co-Chairs
When: Sunday, April 29th, 2018
Where: Sherwood Community Music School at Columbia College Chicago, 1312 S. Michigan Ave., Chicago, IL 60605
Fee: $30 per student for CAMTA member; $50 per student for non-CAMTA member; teacher non-volunteer fee of $10 per student
Registration Deadline: Sunday, April 8th, 2018 (online registration closes at midnight)
Winners Recital: Sunday, May 6th, 2018, 5:00 – 6:00 PM
Location: Steinway Piano Gallery, 141 Skokie Blvd., Northbrook, IL 60062
Students entering the competition may be in any grade level through High School Senior. Students who previously placed 1st, 2nd, or 3rd in Levels A, B, or C, or 1st in Level D are not eligible to compete again in the same level; however, students who previously placed 2nd or 3rd in Level D may re-enter at the same level. Honorable Mention winners are not required to advance to the next level.
There are no restrictions regarding the number of entries. Each student may enter only one level and must be enrolled on the official application form, showing ALL required information. Please specify on the application any scheduling requests, as times will NOT be reassigned after the schedule is complete. Also, please indicate siblings whose times need to be coordinated. Scheduling requests cannot be guaranteed but will be considered carefully.
CAMTA member registration fee: $30.00 per student
Non-CAMTA member registration fee: $50.00 per student
Non-monitoring teachers: Add $10.00 per student to the registration fee.
ENTRY FEES ARE NOT REFUNDABLE. The contest application form and payments must be completed online, however, the entry fees may be mailed to CAMTA c/o Regina Syrkin, 1416 Derby Lane, Mundelein, IL 60060. Please make checks payable to CAMTA. Schedules will be sent to teachers in late April.
Teachers should enroll students in the appropriate level, selecting ONE PIECE from the elective list to be performed IN ADDITION TO THE REQUIRED PIECE. Please be certain your students prepare the correct pieces, since an incorrect piece will result in disqualification. Editions mentioned in the repertoire list are for reference only; there are no specific edition requirements. Repeats may be taken at the discretion of the contestant and teacher unless otherwise indicated on the repertoire list. Da Capo and Dal Segno must be observed. All pieces must be memorized. Any infraction of these Rules and Regulations will result in disqualification. We strongly advise you to review these Rules and Regulations with your participating students prior to the contest.
All students will receive ribbons for participation on the day of the event. 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Place trophies will be awarded in each level if scores warrant such awards. Ties and Honorable Mentions can be given at the judges’ discretion. Trophies and Honorable Mention certificates are distributed at the honors Recital. If the number of entries in a division becomes excessively large, contestants may be split into two or more separate groups with 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Place winners in each group. Conversely, if a level has a small number of participants, fewer prizes may be awarded. At least three contestants are necessary for a contest in any division.
1. Teachers must first register themselves. Make note of the amount due!
2. Teachers should then register their students, each with their own individual form.
3. Pay online. Teachers should pay for all of their students with one payment. ONLINE BANKING is the preferred payment method for CAMTA, since there is no fee for the transaction. Please put SAVLER and the teacher name in the message field.
OR PAYPAL (CAMTA incurs a fee for using this service). Click the “donate” button below. It will prompt you to log in to PayPal. Once you’re in, please “donate” the amount due from your teacher registration form.