40th ANNUAL CAMTA ROBERTA SAVLER PIANO CONTEST
When: Sunday, April 26, 2020
Winners Recital May 2
Registration deadline: April 12, 2020
$35 per student for CAMTA member, $50 per student for non-CAMTA member
$10 per student for teachers who are not available for volunteer work
All fees are not refundable.
- C. Nielsen: Jumping Jack, Op. 11, No. 4 (from Beyond the Romantic Spirit, Book 1)
- J. S. Bach: Gavotte II from English Suite No. 3
- L. v. Beethoven: German Dance WoO 8 (from Succeeding with the Masters Classical Era 1)
- H. Pachulski: Valse Mignonne (from Exploring Piano Classics Book 4)
- E. Poldini: Dance of the Gnomes (from Exporing Piano Classics Book 5)
- S. Raphling: Improvisation on American Folk Tune Cumberland Gap (from Classic to Moderns Vol. 77)
- G. F. Handel: Fantasia in D minor
- L. v. Beethoven: Sonatina WoO 51 in C Major, II. Adagio
- P. I. Tchaikovsky: Song of the Lark from Children’s Album, Op. 39
- T. Brown: Daydreaming (from Succeeding with the Masters, Festival Collection 4)
- B. Bartok: Rondo, Op. 84, No. 1
- J. S. Bach: Rondeaux from Partita No. 2
- L. v. Beethoven: Sonata in E Major, Op. 14, No. 1, II. Allegretto
- E. Grieg: Butterfly from Lyric Pieces, Op. 43, No. 1
- D. Milhoud: Sorocaba from Saudades do Brasil, Op. 67, No. 1
- A. Khachaturian: Toccata
- J. S. Bach: Prelude and Fugue in D Major from WTC I
- L. v. Beethoven: Variations, Op. 76 (no repeats)
- J. Brahms: Intermezzo in A Major, Op. 118, No. 2
- F. Poulenc: Humoresque
Contest Rules and Regulations:
The contest is open to all students who are high school seniors or younger. There is no age restriction for any level. Students who previously placed 1st, 2nd or 3rd in level A, B, or C, or 1st in level D are not eligible to compete again in the same level; however students who previously placed 2nd, or 3rd in level D may reenter at the same level. Honorable Mention winners are not required to advance to the next level.
Contestants are to prepare 2 pieces: one required piece and one elective piece from the Choice list for their level. All pieces must be performed by memory. Editions mentioned in the repertoire list are for reference only; there are no specific edition requirements. Repeats may be taken at the discretion of the contestant and teacher unless otherwise indicated. Da Capo and Dal Segno must be observed.
There are no restrictions for teachers regarding the number of entries. Each student may enter only one level and must be enrolled on the official application form, showing all required information.
All participating teachers are expected to make every effort to donate their time to monitor, help with contest setup, clean-up or help with the Winners recital. If it’s impossible to physically be present on the contest date, then you’ll have to include an additional $10 fee per student to pay for monitors in your place.
The contest application form must be completed online (see below). The payments can be done online also, or mailed to:
1416 Derby Ln.
Mundelein IL 60060
To complete the contest application form, click for the appropriate form (student or teacher):
Student Online Registration (link will be made available when registration opens)
Teacher Online Registration (link will be made available when registration opens)
Schedule will be emailed to teachers a week before the contest.
All students will receive ribbons for participation on the day of the event. First, second and third place trophies will be awarded in each level.
First place score 99-100
Ties and Honorable mentions can be given at the judges’ discretion. If the number of entries in a division becomes excessively large, contestants may be split into two or more separate groups with 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place winners in each group. Conversely, if a level has a small number of participants, fewer prizes may be awarded.
The decision of the judges is final. Results of the contest and judges’ comment sheets will be mailed to the teachers. The winning students’ teachers will be notified by the first Monday following the contest and told which piece should be performed at the recital. Trophies and Honorable mention certificates are distributed at the Winners recital.
With all inquiries please contact Regina Syrkin:
1. Teachers must first register themselves. Make note of the amount due! (see above)
2. Teachers should then register their students, each with their own individual form. (see above)
3. Pay online. Teachers should pay for all of their students with one payment. ONLINE BANKING is the preferred payment method for CAMTA, since there is no fee for the transaction. Please put SAVLER and the teacher name in the message field.
OR PAYPAL (CAMTA incurs a fee for using this service). Click the “donate” button below. It will prompt you to log in to PayPal. Once you’re in, please “donate” the amount due from your teacher registration form.